
Florida lawmakers have signed off on a budget that includes more money for an election investigations office championed by Gov. Ron DeSantis that has garnered controversy and outrage but few results.
Most notably, in August, it arrested 20 people on charges of being ineligible to vote when they cast ballots in the 2020 election — but who were also told by the DeSantis administration that they could legally vote.
The $116 billion proposed spending plan passed unanimously in both chambers Friday includes $1.4 million for the Office of Election Crimes and Security, which was created in 2022 as part of what DeSantis described as the state’s ongoing “election integrity” efforts. It’s a roughly 20 percent increase from the 15-person office’s current $1.1 million budget.
In his proposed budget released in January, DeSantis asked lawmakers to boost the office’s budget to $3.1 million.
“Election integrity is a foundational component of our system of government,” Republican state Rep. Alex Andrade, who oversaw the portion of the House budget that includes the election investigation office, told NBC News. “Guaranteeing we commit the necessary resources to maintain our election integrity was a no brainer.”
Democrats and voting rights groups have opposed the office’s creation from the start, but that criticism intensified in August when state law enforcement used early morning raids to arrest 20 people who had been incarcerated on felonies and voted in the 2020 election after their release.
Each of those arrested had filed voter registration forms that were approved by both county and state elections officials, and they were sent voter identification cards. Most later said they did not know they were ineligible to vote. It is the responsibility of the Florida Department of State, which is part of the DeSantis administration, to vet voter registration applications for eligibility standards.
At least six of those initial 20 arrests were dismissed. Five took plea deals that resulted in no jail time, and just one went to trial. The office said in a report that it made just four other arrests during its first nine months.
Attorney Robert Barrar, who represents Ronald Miller, one of the 20 people arrested, called the expanded funding for the unit “a colossal waste of taxpayers’ dollars.”
“The Florida Legislature and the governor like to call this a free state. Well, what’s free about a state that discourages people from voting and wastes money of the taxpayers to further their own political agenda?” he said.
Leave a Reply