
Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) has been granted exemptions to ease the pressure on its services during the bank holiday nursing strike.
The London children’s hospital expressed “serious concerns” about staffing as Royal College of Nursing (RCN) members prepare to walk out.
During the strike from Sunday to Monday, nurses in the RCN union will not provide emergency care in A&E.
However the RCN said it would consider exemptions.
Union leader Pat Cullen said mitigations were granted on Friday following a request from GOSH, insisting nurses working at the hospital would “never ever” leave child patients at risk.
The exemption for GOSH means some striking staff could be called in to 11 areas, including intensive care, so that the services provided are deemed safe.
The RCN has also agreed exemptions in areas of some other hospital trusts in England.
‘Scaremongering’
According to NHS England, the “business continuity incident” announced by GOSH is defined as any event likely to disrupt delivery of services from “acceptable predefined levels”.
Ms Cullen said any suggestion that mitigations were not being put in place were “factually incorrect”.
She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “All of the exemptions that Great Ormond Street requested of the Royal College of Nursing were granted earlier yesterday.
“None of those exemptions were turned down,” she said. “It is really important for the public to know that and it is also really important for the staff that work there to know that.”
“The most fantastic nurses work at Great Ormond Street Hospital and I do not want to be scaremongering them that we have put a process in place that they would all walk out on their patients, that would never be the case,” she added.
The protocol surrounding exemptions requires the RCN to pass its approval on to NHS England, which is then responsible for notifying the individual organisation, Ms Cullen said.
Ms Cullen added that any derogations being sought by other organisations would be given “very careful consideration” to ensure critical areas of care can continue.
Mat Shaw, the hospital’s chief executive, had said: “We respect the right of our staff to take part in lawful industrial action, but after exhausting all options, at the moment we have serious concerns over how we will safely staff our hospital during the strike.”
The strike was called earlier this month after RCN members rejected a government offer for England of a 5% pay rise for 2023-24 and a one-off payment of at least £1,655 to top up last year’s salary, depending on staff grade.The walkout will involve NHS nurses in emergency departments, intensive care, cancer wards and other wards.
Source – BBC News
Leave a Reply